Thursday, March 1, 2012

Grain-free Almond Banana Waffles.


I have a new version of grain-free waffles to share!!  Those of you who have read my site for a while will remember my first grain-free waffles.  They taste really great, but these new waffles taste even better in my opinion.  (How is that possible?!)  One of the reasons I like this recipe so much is because they taste great plain, which is atypical of many grain-free versions!!  I also like how this grain-free waffle does not rely on coconut flour or eggs.  I love my other grain-free waffles, but they more dense compared to regular waffles and coconut flour is very filling.  They are, however, GAPS friendly.  Overall, this recipe has a bit more natural sweetness (from the banana) and isn't so dense.  The texture is FAB!  This recipe is also good for those who either don't care for coconut flour or just want a real food waffle recipe that doesn't use so many eggs!

I created this recipe on a whim one morning as I was whipping up some of my original grain-free waffles.  I wanted a recipe that did not use coconut flour.  And I wanted it to be easy!  So these waffles were born :) And I can tell you that they're here to stay

Grain-free Almond Banana Waffles.
    makes about 2 large Belgian waffles

    3 real eggs
    1 cup  blanched almond flour - source
    1/2 cup  organic shredded coconut - source
    2 Tbsp  almond butter - source
    4 Tbsp  butter, softened or melted - source
    1 ripe banana, mashed
    1 tsp  cinnamon - source
    1 tsp  vanilla - source

To make your waffles:
  1.  Turn on your waffle maker to medium heat. Spray it with olive oil - you don't want it to stick!
  2.  In a small bowl, crack eggs and beat with a whisk by hand until glossy yellow.
  3.  In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients together. Make sure your coconut is finely shredded, and not in the form of flakes or chips.
  4.  Mix eggs and melted butter (but make sure butter is not boiling hot!) together, and whisk this into the bowl with the dry mixture.  **Add water to thin to right consistency, not too runny and not too thick (this step is optional, do if needed).
  4.  Pour batter into your waffle maker. Mine took over a whole cup of batter to fill and make one waffle. Depending on your waffle maker, your waffle yeild may vary, requiring less or more batter, or requiring more or less heat.
  5.  When done (mine beeps!), gently remove to a hot sheet pan in a 200 degree oven to keep warm as the other waffles are made.  Try using two forks or a fork and spatula for this step!
  6.  Enjoy your waffles!  Top them with BUTTER, yogurt, real maple syrup, peanut butter or fresh fruit.  And they're so good you can even eat them plain!!


I must admit, one of the best parts about these waffles is how great they are later, whether they're cold and left out for a few hours after making, or after they are frozen (for weeks) and then are thawed out.  And PS, they make great waffle sandwiches.  More on that in the next post!!

Happy waffling ;)
And Happy March!

8 comments:

Kathleen at Providence Farms said...

Meagan, These look MARVELOUS!! I'm so going to try these. I do think I will try to substitute the banana for apple sauce (my Candida Diet is pretty restrictive about the use of bananas). I'll let you know what I think. I haven't had a waffle in over a year and this sounds just divine. Thanks for sharing it at Fight Back Friday.

Big Apple Mami said...

These look good! We're on GAPS right now and I think this will be something we have to try. Happy to follow you!

http://fromnyccorporatetosuburbmamas.blogspot.com/

Melissa Naasko said...

I love waffles! I had to share this recipe on my blog FB!

Anonymous said...

In the list of ingredients it says; "1/2 cup organic shredded coconut" but then in directions it says; "Mix eggs and melted coconut oil together" I am confused, Maybe I read it wrong. These sounds so good.~Nissa

Meagan said...

Thanks so much for catching this - I fixed it! Sorry for the confusion

likebedsheetsRN said...

OH MY GYAH! I just had these for "brinner" and they were amazing. I'm so full, I can barely walk. My husband (who is about as picky as a 4 year old) even liked them. This has made it's way to the front of the cookbook folder. Bless you!

Anonymous said...

Chopsticks work great and won't scratch the nonstick surface of the waffle iron!

Anonymous said...

I Thank you so much for this awesome recipe! I don't have a waffle maker, but I made pancake-waffles out of the batter and they are absolutely fantastic breakfast with some blueberry and banana. I also added some cardamom (because it reminds me of my mother's recipe). I doubled the batter and froze most of it, and now I leave a couple out the evening before and reheat them in the microwave in the morning, absolutely the best breakfast, even when I am in a hurry!