Saturday, January 8, 2011

Grain-free Waffles.

Waffles have always been something I enjoy.  Although since going gluten-free (and now paleo/primal), I never had another waffle again... That is until this Christmas, nearly 3 years later!  My wonderful Aunt gave me a great waffle maker for Christmas.  I had been eye-ing some grain-free waffle goodness for a while now, and I was delighted to finally be able to make some.

I topped mine with a happy pastured fried egg!

My first try came from Cara's recipe, here.  The recipe was good, but not quite right for my waffle maker.  My waffle maker is huge! My second try, using this recipe, was much better.  And then with a few edits, I came up with this.  Next time I will double the recipe and have more left overs.  Coconut flour is very dense and filling, so I can usually eat 1/4 of one large Belgian waffle, including various toppings, and be perfectly satisfied.  The remaining waffles I slice in halves and fourths and freeze for later.  They also make a great sandwich bread option.  Who needs gluten-free bread when you can have gluten-free waffle sandwiches?

Grain-free Waffles.
    adapted from this recipe
    makes 3 large waffles in my waffler, approx. 1 cup (a bit over) batter each

    4 Tbsp melted coconut oil
    6 real eggs, from happy pastured chickens
    1/3 cup + 1 heaping Tbsp coconut flour, more as needed
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla, optional
    1-2 tsp cinnamon, optional
    water

To make your waffles:
  1.  Turn on your waffle maker to medium heat. Spray it with olive oil - we don't want stickies!
  2.  Crack eggs and beat until glossy yellow.
  3.  Mix dry ingredients together. Mix eggs and coconut oil and whisk this into the bowl with the dry mixture. (Or you can be lazy like me and put it all into one big bowl and whisk together). It's better for egg incorporation to do it separately, and I think the "lazy" way might have actually taken longer! Add water to thin to right consistency, not too runny and not too thick.
  4.  Pour batter into your waffle maker, mine took over a whole cup of batter to fill. Depending on your maker you will get more or less waffles, and require less or more batter, or require more or less heat.
  5.  When done, gently remove to a hot sheet pan in a 200 degree oven to keep warm as the other waffles are being made.

I topped my waffle with a fried egg for protein, warm blueberries, fresh goat yogurt, strawberries, walnuts, bananas, chocolate chips and of course, grassfed butter.  There was also some grade B maple syrup on the side for dipping if desired.  The pictures didn't turn out as good as I hoped, so I will save you from them :)  My whole family really enjoyed these, and they were requested again and again on other mornings! 

Photo credit: Healthhomehappy.com

Enjoy your nourishing grain-free waffles, as well as your waffle sandwiches for lunch!  This is the best photo I've found of a waffle-sandwich so far.  Have fun waffling ;)

12 comments:

BARBARA said...

MEAGAN, WOULD THIS RECIPE WORK AS PANCAKES? THANKS, BARBARA

Meagan said...

Barbara, I see no reason why this wouldn't work with pancakes :) Give it a shot and come back and let me know how it did!

Tara said...

I just made these for breakfast and they turned out awesome! I didn't have enough coconut flour for the full batch so I halved it and got two waffles. I'll make these again!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to give these a try. I'm not always a huge fan of coconut flour, but I AM really craving waffles and like you, am gluten-free so can't have regular ones. Thanks for posting this, I'll let you know how it goes! (I think I'll try them this Saturday!)

Meagan said...

Coconut flour is a bit hard to work with sometimes, if you're not used to it. Just follow the recipe and it should work like a charm! Maybe you'll change your mind about coconut flour :D

Anonymous said...

I love a good gluten-free nourishing waffle and really wanted to like these because they are low carb/grain free. Unfortunately, they looked much better than they tasted. I followed the recipe exactly but found them to be too dense and bland. Any ideas how to tweak the recipe to give it a "lighter" taste?

Meagan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theresa P. said...

I love coconut flour & waffles, and am eager to try this recipe. thanks, for the recipe. I like your site I will be back!

Meagan said...

Anon - I don't know what happened. Mine are perfectly fluffly. Coconut flour is dense by character, so using coconut flour might not be the right fit for you. Try whipping the egg whites to soft peaks and FOLDING them in at the end for a lighter batter. Thanks for coming back!

Amber said...

these were RAD!! i have literally made ever ding dang paleo waffle recipe out there and these are by far the best!!
the only bummer is that they only made a few ( like 4) Next time i am going to have to quadruple the recipe so my 4 kiddos can each have a few!

thanks
:-)

Unknown said...

Somewhere on the world wide web it's stated that you "pack" coconut flour to measure it correctly. I was wondering HOW you measured it - packing as some sites say to or not? That may explain that one comment about them being heavy and bland.....

Meagan said...

I generally spoon the coconut flour into the measuring cup and then level it with a knife. I would NOT ever recommend packing coconut flour into a measuring cup (like one would do to brown sugar) in ANY coconut flour recipe.