Friday, January 28, 2011

Grain-free Pumpkin Muffins.


My mom found this recipe over at Amy's Simply Sugar & Gluten-free blog sometime before Thanksgiving. The original recipe was submitted in her Slightly Indulgent Tuesday's carnival by another blogger. Unfortunately when my mom printed out the recipe, it didn't say who made them! My mom was adventurous and made some edits to the recipe (go Mom!) which were spot on. So here is her lovely delicious creation.


I cannot say enough of these muffins! They are incredibly moist and have great flavor and texture. She was kind enough to ship me a whole package of these muffins when I was away at school over Thanksgiving. I shared them with all my "not gluten-free" friends and they LOVED them. They couldn't even tell they were gluten-free, and EVERY SINGLE person asked for the recipe. After much waiting, here it is! My mom also served them at her own Thanksgiving feast she hosted and NO ONE knew that they were gluten-free. The plate disappeared. Obviously people enjoyed them :)


We currently have a whole bag of these at our house in the freezer. Whenever we need a muffin fix we take one out and pop it into the toaster oven to warm up. All it takes is ten minutes and you have a warm yummy muffin.  These freeze very well! This will definitely be my new "to-go-to" recipe when I need to make muffins. Which reminds me, I need to remake my Morning Glory Muffin recipe without the grains and the sugar!


Grain-free Pumpkin Muffins
    makes about 2 dozen muffins

    2 cups  blanched almond flour
    1 tsp  baking soda
    1/2 tsp  sea salt
    1/2 tsp  each: nutmeg, allspice, cloves
    1 cup  pumpkin puree
    3 real eggs - ours were large!
    1/4 cup  organic extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup  honey/maple syrup
    1 cup  chopped nuts (for topping)
    Optional add ins: raisins, coconut, chocolate chips for topping

To make your muffins:
  1.  Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffin tins with muffin liners.
  2.  Mix dry ingredients together in a medium bowl, be sure to remove lumps.
  3.  Mix wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
  4.  Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
  5.  Pour batter into muffin tin, about 3/4 cup full for each.
  6.  Bake for 22-24 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.


You simply MUST try these muffins! They will change your life they are so delicious! They are certain some nutritious muffins :) These also make a great protein filled snack and breakfast topping!

14 comments:

chaylife said...

I'm going to try these today for my grandson. We are starting a new way of eating for him--grain free. This is perfect to help him make the change without suffering too much. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I've just stumbled upon your site and I'm wondering if you happen to have a recipe index page?

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free said...

These look amazing! And I love that they are grain free :) I have been looking for a yummy muffin recipe for bfast ;) THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I bet they are good! Pumpkin belongs in muffins!! :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} said...

I love the idea of a grain-free muffin. Do you make your own almond flour or do you buy it?

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) said...

Oh my gosh, these look great!! I will have to make these!

Sam said...

I have just had my first muffin still nice and warm from the oven and they are DELICIOUS! Thanks so much for the recipe. I think I'm going to go back and have another one :D

Anonymous said...

What's the yield on these? 12? 24?

Meagan said...

See my ingredients page for questions on ingredient sources.

The yeild is probably more like 12-15 than 24. I cannot remember exactly

Kristin said...

I just made these. Haven't tried them yet, but I'm sure they'll be delicious. They do, however look very different than yours. Why are yours so chunky looking? Do the ones shown have a lot of add-ins? I added raisins and mine still look much finer.

Meagan said...

@Kristin - I am so glad you chose to make these muffins :) The reason mine look a big more chunky than yours do is because there is shredded/flaked real coconut with raisins as well. The first photograph is plain muffin with walnuts on top and it is rather "smooth" as you would say inside :) You haven't done anything wrong. It's just how the mix-ins photographed. Perhaps I could have smoothed the top down before baking too :)

Anonymous said...

I want to give these a shot Meagan! I will just do a substitute for my preferences with flax eggs and also unsweetened apple sauce for the oil. :) NIce job! Its looks like a great recipe! ;) !

Josie said...

Hi Meagan, I love these muffins and have been making them off and on for months. I'm wondering if you've ever tried making this into a cake using a springform cake pan? I was interested in trying to make this into a cake, but wasn't sure how. I have a great recipe for a maple syrup frosting that I wanted to try on it. Thanks in advance!

Akneebellchair said...

These are too delicious! I can't stop eating them!