Monday, July 20, 2009

Grain-free Coconut Flour Brownies.


I think I am the brownie queen. Try all of my brownie recipes and you'll see why. Or, just try this one. I can live with that.

The cookies that I looove so much I have turned into a brownie recipe. It was so easy. It was also effortlessly good. Seems to me there can be endless experiments with this recipe. The cookies are by far the best, and so are these brownies. They both take the cake in my book. Pun intended.


Grain-free Coconut Flour Brownies.
    makes one 8x8 or 9x9 pan

    1/2 cup  organic coconut oil or softened grass-fed butter - source
    3/4 cup  cane sugar or maple syrup (use grade B for best flavor)
    2  real pastured eggs
    1/2 tsp  vanilla extract
    1/3 heaping cup  cocoa powder of choice - source
    1/4 cup  organic coconut flour - source
    1/2 tsp  baking powder
    1/2 tsp  baking soda
    3/4-1 cup  chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar of choice - source
    chopped walnuts for topping

To make your brownies:
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2.  In a medium bowl, use a mixer to cream butter with sugar, or use a spatula to mix maple syrup and coconut oil, until light and fluffy.
  3.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
  4.  Add vanilla extract.
  5.  In another bowl, sift cocoa powder and coconut flour to remove lumps. Add baking soda and baking powder.
  6.  Stir flour mixture into wet mixture and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
  7.  Pour into a greased/oiled 8x8 or 9x9 pan, depending on how thick you want your brownies. Sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired.
  8.  Bake for about 20-30 minutes or until center is slightly set and springy, and the sides are pulling away from the pan.
  9.  Cool completely on a wire rack (allows air to cool the bottom of the pan, and your brownie bottoms come out easier) and serve.

Look at the wonderful texture!

Please resist digging in right away, and give these brownies some time to cool. They are even better after a night in the refridgerator and warmed in the toaster oven. I like to top mine with homemade RAW milk vanilla ice cream, a recipe from Sally Fallon in her book, Nourishing Traditions. NT is such a great resource with tons of nourishing traditional recipes!

I won't neglect to mention that these brownies are low carb, delicious and healthy treat, especially when made with maple syrup, and grass-fed butter or coconut oil.

Enjoy!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

When do the chocolate chips come into play? Do you mix them in the main batter?

Meagan said...

I just fixed the recipe - left this out, oops! You just stir them into the batter before you pour it into the pan for baking ;)

Toni said...

I made some of these for our Super Bowl party today and they just came out of the oven -- ZOMG! Coconut flour brownies that actually *TASTE* like brownies? A slice of heaven. Bonus feature? The batter itself is ALSO delicious -- a first for me in grain-free baking.

Anonymous said...

These are amazing!! I made brownie cupcakes!

Anonymous said...

Why don't you use Pinterest>??

Meagan said...

Hello Anon,
I don't use Pintrest because I do not have time for that and other social media. Feel free to follow me on Twitter though!

Anonymous said...

I never comment on anything, but I feel it necessary to tell you how amazing these are! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Great job on these!

Anonymous said...

Found your recipe on Pinterest and I keep coming back to it! These are by far the best coconut flour brownies EVER! I've made them a dozen times at least.

beth said...

So good! I used grass-fed butter and coconut sugar. The batter looked and tasted more like chocolate mousse, but I trusted you and went ahead. They baked beautifully. They taste like "real" brownies than any other grain-free recipe I've tried. Thanks so much for this recipe!!