Sunday, March 21, 2010

Breakfast Ideas

Sometimes I feel like I am stuck in a rut when it comes to breakfast. The normal person tends to grab anything they want, and they usually do not even care about it's nutritional value! But since I have a different food philosophy, I know that this is not an option. I want to eat food that nourishes my body. Food that is gluten free and soy free, local, sustainable. REAL traditional foods that our grandma's and grandpa's used to enjoy. Nothing that's packaged, genetically modified or is something you can't pronounce. Food that is traceable back to it's source. Food in its simplest possible form. Food that is alive, not dead.

Nutrient dense, healthy and delicious food is what I crave. I don't eat wheat, or soy. I avoid sugar and conventional dairy products like the plague. I don't eat very many grains. Most surprising thing of all? I don't miss it, and I don't focus on the food I can not or will not eat. There is so much REAL food out there in the world! Vegetables, raw dairy, cultured/fermented food, properly raised meats, traditionally prepared whole grains, beans, legumes, nuts and seeds, real fats, real eggs. The list goes on!

When it comes to breakfast, I love to chop things up and throw it all together in a bowl to savor - there are so many flavors, why not have fun? But when not doing a breakfast bowl, I love to have roasted vegetables and eggs (fried, scrambled, baked) for breakfast.

My favorites list:

goat whole milk yogurt
raw whole milk
butter
cinnamon + other spices
rice protein powder
bananas
raspberries, blueberries, strawberries
watermelon
pineapple
raisins
dried apples
cocoa nibs
organic coconut flakes
raw honey
organic maple syrup
walnuts, almonds, macademias, pecans, brazil nuts, peanuts, hazelnuts
sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed, chia seeds
oatmeal
soaked granola

The mix in the above picture is: warmed and crumbled Upside-down Creamy Sweet Potato Breakfast cake, with fresh raspberries, goat milk yogurt, cocoa nibs, organic coconut flakes, cinnamon, pinch salt, raisins, and chia seeds. Delicious! Buying a few ingredients and mixing them up makes the combinations endless :) It stops the boredom of breakfast on a budget short!
And this? This you say? THIS is my very first Green Monster (smoothie). I have heard so much about it from Kath's and Emily's and Sarah's blogs that I just had to take the plunge! I used my handy dandy Hamilton Beach multipurpose hand blender - so the consistency was not super smooth, but after a little bit of a fight, it worked!!

Green Monster

The components:

~3 cups spinach - I have no idea because I was stuffing my tupperware full (thanks cafe!)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped cucumber
some scallions (yes I am that adventurous even on the first time!)
1 frozen small banana
~2 oz goat milk yogurt
aloe vera juice for liquid

To make your green monster:
1. Place all ingredients in blender, or bowl.
2. Blend on high until mixed together!
3. Eat with a spoon or pour into a glass! Enjoy.

This was for today's lunch. I made a lot and couldn't finish it all! You might notice that the recipe is lacking protein-- I opted to have 2 HB eggs on the side instead of going for my rice protein powder. I have to admit that my first Green Monster wasn't a total success, but I loved how it gave me so many good nutrients and is easy to digest on my tummy. I will be experimenting further in the future!!

By the way, my phone is dead/has officially died. Pray for me as I navigate the world without technology. It's more difficult than you would realize!

No comments: