Monday, August 9, 2010

CUCUMBERS!

Homegrown :)

We grew our own! Mom set up planters in the front yard, it was all her doing. Now after a few weeks we JUST picked our first one. I can hardly believe it! It made me feel so much like a farmer :) My mom named him "Henry" (I have no clue why, hmm, don't ask) and we had such fun picking him from the vine. Complete with pictures. Then we ate him. And Henry went to cucumber heaven!


The moment of truth!

Delicious with some healthy, nutritious and real celtic sea salt. Contrary to popular belief, salt is good for you. But like with lots of foods it matters what kind or type of salt you're buying. Celtic sea salt is an unrefined, naturally harvested sea salt that is not beached or stripped of any minerals in any way; it has no additives, no chemicals and no preservatives. It is quite the opposite of iodized salt which is very damaging to our health. You can really taste the difference, and your body knows the difference. It's a bit on the pricey side for salt, but nothing bad at all and the cost is worth it for your health. This kind is most perfect for cucumbers.

Cucumbers + salt = love.


Real foodies... do you grow anything at home, or wish you did?

5 comments:

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish said...

I've never bought Celtic salt but would love to give it a try! Is it very expensive?

Someday I'd like to have an herb garden. Nothing heightens the senses like FRESH herbs in a dish!

Kelsey Ann said...

i remember 2 years ago i went through a cucumber and salt fetish! haha i used to always slice one up after dinner and sprinkle on some salt and watch tv. much better than popcorn!! <3

Anonymous said...

I wish I could grow delicious foods, but I have no green thumb! Henry looks very handsome, and tasty. ;)

Thanks for the perspective on salt! I've been wanting to buy some sea salt for a long while, and you provide a compelling argument. =)

nhchefbecky said...

Love cucumbers, celtic sea salt, Bragg's apple cider vinegar, and a bit of fresh cracked black pepper.This summer a friend and I are growing cucumbers, tomatoes, snap peas, corn, gourds, pumpkins, watermelons, lettuce, radishes, carrots, and green beans. So much fun to pick and eat right from your very own garden. Henry is indeed an impressive specimen! Congrats!! Happy growing and eating!

Sarah, the Healthy Home Economist said...

Meagan, that cucumber looks beautiful! I am a huge cucumber fan, one of my favorite dishes is to simply cut a half a cuke up into small pieces and pour some white rice vinegar on it. Tastes like the cuke salad at Chinese restaurants minus all the sugar. Thanks for stopping my Monday Mania and sharing your success!!