Monday, November 1, 2010

Powerful Protein

Photo Credit - Parade.com

If you are like me, you can't eat a meal without having some sort of protein. Protein is necessary but often under emphasized part of our diets. While too much protein is not beneficial and ultimately will turn to fat like an excess of any basic nutrient, we need an adequate amount of protein each day to sustain our bodies. Some people require more protein than others, and I am definitely one of those people. My typical meal is a protein and vegetables, or a protein on a salad. Fats always accompany the meal as well, so I absorb the most nutrients as possible. One thing that you will never see on this blog is a meal or dish without a sufficient amount of protein. Surprisingly, all these rich animal foods-- the eggs, full fat raw dairy, cheeses, real meat, and real butter, are all the foods the "diet dictocrats" tell us to avoid. Thankfully, we real foodies know better. Our bodies crave these extremely nutritious foods!

Photo Credit - Caviarmore.com

With fall around the corner, (or is it already here?) I find myself turning to richer, warm dishes which sound more appealing than simple summer salads. Recipes like oven roasted chicken, pot roast, baked eggs and hearty soups or stews. And of course, do not forget nourishing baked goods-- think stewed apples, fruit crisps and coconut flour based cakes. Also, there is "to die for" vegetable dishes like roasted brussel sprouts, mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon, browned carrots and butter, and sauteed onions and cabbage. I encourage you to embrace the change of seasons. With the summer fruits going out of season, welcome the fall and winter vegetables into your meals instead.

Three Bean Chili with raw milk parmesan

Need some ideas? Here's a collection of some of my most favorite recipes out there. Maybe you will find a new favorite.

Bacon Wrapped Chicken

Goat Cheese, Red pepper, Zucchini Frittata

Photo Credit: Nourished Kitchen
Creamy Spiced Butternut Squash

Raw Milk French Vanilla Ice Cream with Maple Syrup

Red Vegetable Soup with Roasted Chicken

Banana Cake

Beef "Pot Roast"

Photo credit: Simply Recipes
Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Photo Credit: Real Food Digest
Three Ingredient Quiche with Veggies

Photo Credit: Smitten Kitchen
Sauteed Apples with Butter and Cinnamon

I love the foods of fall. Savory ever bite! (And of course I can't wait until I am home so I can have real homecooked meals!)

Is there any particular fall food that you especially miss since going gluten free, grain free, off dairy or finding out about food sensitivities?






Ps - I am thick in the throws of studying and tests (especially Physics!) Pray that God would give me His strength and peace, so that I might glorify Him through my efforts (and hopefully get an A!)

Pps - Happy November!!

2 comments:

Kelsey Ann said...

pot roast is such a classic in our house- its sooo hearty, warming, and comforting <3 thankfully since being able to tolerate gluten again i can enjoy one of my fav fall treats- glazed pumpkin scones!! <3

xoxo
good luck with studying my dear!!

Anonymous said...

hi there, just wanted to say how tastey & beautiful your mini Blueberry bunt cake looks!
I noticed the comments were from awhile ago, I do hope you get this though... I wanted you to know how blessed I was that you stood up for loving the Lord on your site. If you'd like to e-mail back to chat about food and what-not my email is: awakenedbyjesus@gmail.com &
thanks again, Mom of 2 in Sacramento CA