Sunday, August 15, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream.

(Holy Cow - I just found this post in my archives from JANUARY. I must have been waiting to post it because of a picture? Who knows!)

Sometimes making homemade ice cream can be a bit tricky. All of you who have tried it probably know what I mean. It takes a some time and some internet research to find out what works! The ice cream can come out too icy, freeze too hard, taste too sweet, taste too strong or be lacking in either flavor or texture. It's also disappointing when you spend so much time and dollars on ingredients, only to find that the batch did not turn out as you hoped.

Homemade Almond Joy Ice Cream on top with whipped cream and
Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice cream on the bottom! Delicious.
Unfortunately I don't have a better picture than this!
I've been making homemade ice cream this whole month with my lovely ice cream maker I received for my birthday this summer. Some batches have been good, but others have been rock hard, and not in a good way!

One of my family's favorite ice cream flavors is chocolate peanut butter cup. I have not had this flavor of ice cream in years ever since learning about my allergies. So after doing some research, I finally mustered up the courage to tackle this ice cream flavor!

I could not be happier with the results, and I think you will like it too. It's hard not to eat the whole tub at once!! Chocolate and peanut butter. I cannot tell you how highly I regard the culinary combination of chocolate and peanut butter. To say that I love it, crave it and think it is so incredibly tasty is an understatement. I love chocolate and peanut butter.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
    makes 2 quarts, with inspiration from here

    4 cups  raw cream (or 2 cups cream, 2 cups raw whole milk)
    1/2 cup  raw whole milk
    1 cup  organic cane sugar - I use Whole Foods brand
    1  scant cup unsweetened cocoa powder (about 3/4s cup)
    2 Tbsp  organic maple syrup
    2 Tbsp  organic vanilla
    1 1/2  Tbsp arrowroot powder
    4  egg yolks

Peanut chunks:
    1 cup  smooth organic peanut butter - my (current) favorite is Maranatha
    1 cup  organic cane sugar or confectioners sugar

To make your ice cream:
  1.  Put your raw cream and freezing bowl (the tub you scoop the ice cream into- NOT your ice cream maker's freezer insert) into the freezer to get really cold as you prep the other ingredients.
  2.  Get out a sheet pan and place some plastic wrap on it. In a small bowl, mix together peanut butter and sugar. Using two knives, dip one into the peanut butter mixture and use the other to scrap off a small quarter sized dollop of peanut butter onto the cookie sheet. Repeat until you use up the whole bowl. Place the sheet pan in the freezer. The peanut butter "coins" will freeze and will make it easy to incorporate it into the ice cream later.
  3.  In a large bowl, crack out your egg yolks, add arrowroot powder and cocoa powder - sifting both through a metal strainer. Sprinkle sugar into the bowl. Drizzle in 1/2 cup milk, vanilla and maple syrup, and whisk all ingredients until well combined. It will look like flourless dark chocolate cake batter. Make sure these ingredients are well mixed, that there are no lumps, that it is slightly thickened and that the mixture is smooth.
  4.  Take the raw cream out of the freezer and slowly pour it into the bowl while whisking.
  5.  Rush to the freezer, grab the ice cream maker bowl, tear off the plastic wrap (protects the bowl from freezer burn), put it into your ice cream machine, turn it on and pour in your chocolate ice cream mixture.
  6.  Churn for 30 minutes until the machine sounds slightly labored and the ice cream is thick and creamy, or "freeze according to your manufacturers instructions."
  7.  Take out your peanut butter chips and ice cream freezing tub/bowl from the freezer. Scoop out the ice cream in layers, placing several peanut butter chips on top of the ice cream for each layer. It should look like this - bottom of the bowl, ice cream, peanut butter chips, ice cream, peanut butter chips, ice cream... continue this until ice cream and chips are gone. Freeze immediately and lick up the dribbles on the counter. The ice cream will be ready to eat after it has been in the freezer overnight.
  8.  Take out ice cream from freezer. Try. Spoon. Mouth. Swoon. Scoop into bowls. Spoon. Mouth. Eat. Gone. Enjoy!

This ice cream, if made with 4 cups cream, is rich. If your taste buds are accustomed to eating sugar, the amount of sugar listed will taste perfect to you, or if you are like me and do not eat much sugar at all, this will taste very sweet and you may want to decrease the sugar content a little.

5 comments:

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish said...

This looks amazing! I need to buy an ice cream maker so that I can try it!

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self said...

Ahhhhhhh I want to make this!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree, there is no better flavor combination than chocolate and peanut butter! Your recipe looks amazing! I wonder if I can make it, but using coconut milk? =)

It's definitely worth a try! Thank you! :D

Sarah, the Healthy Home Economist said...

Meagan, this is my major weak spot - peanut butter and chocolate together. How heavenly this looks. My hubby is the ice cream maker at our place. Will have to beg him to make this for me! Thank you for sharing at Monday Mania!

Anonymous said...

you come to my house. you bring this ice cream, and i'll make this cake:
http://eatthecookie.wordpress.com/2010/09/12/chocolate-cake-with-whipped-peanut-butter-frosting-ganache-drizzle-topped-with-peanuts/
it'll be a delicious, awful stomach ache full of fun!