Sunday, June 27, 2010

French Vanilla Ice Cream.

Have you ever wondered why some recipes are so complicated? I like to read a lot of food blogs (or glance at a lot at least), and I find myself becoming very excited about the featured recipe as I see the first, second or third photo. Then I find myself scrolling down the page as fast as I can, my eyes are glued to the screen, in a state of all-out anticipation as I wait to find out the first few ingredients of the recipe. A long ingredient list, complicated measurements, or too many steps and long prep time often strike those feelings dead, however, and that will be the end of that recipe.


All that to say, I love uncomplicated recipes. In January, I shared with you my favorite vanilla ice cream. Now that it's summer, I'm back to cranking out ice cream recipes again. As I read other cookbooks and food blogs, however, I notice that most ice cream recipes are too complicated. It requires tempering eggs, boiling milk, chilling the mixture for hours, unnecessary amount of churning, etc. Because I don't believe it is healthy to eat heated milk (raw milk is best) and I am not afraid of raw eggs (eggs from a healthy source shouldn't be worrisome), I find a lot of these recipes annoying. The picture may look downright delicious, but I just can't get by the process. I'd rather have an ice cream that tastes amazing, made with real ingredients that does not a very long time to put together. 

That being said, here is my homemade vanilla ice cream recipe now updated. I've dubbed it french vanilla ice cream this time around because the color, taste and texture remindes me just of a french vanilla version of vanilla. What's the difference between french vanilla versus regular vanilla ice cream? French vanilla uses eggs and has a more custardy taste and texture, whereas vanilla and vanilla bean versions are usually less creamy, more icy, often do not use eggs, and have tiny black vanilla bean flecks throughout.

This has become my go-to ice cream recipe! By keeping the basic ratios the same, it's easy to make many many different flavors! Yumm!


French Vanilla Ice Cream.
    adapted from Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon
    4 cups  raw grassfed organic jersey cream (or 2 cups cream, 2 cups raw whole milk)
    2/3 cup  raw grassfed organic jersey whole milk
    2/3 cup  organic maple syrup
    4  egg yolks from pastured chickens
    2 tsp  organic coconut flour
    8  drops vanilla creme liquid stevia
    3  good dashes unrefined sea salt

To make your ice cream:
  1 . In a large bowl, crack egg yolks, add coconut flour and whisk until combined. Add milk, maple syrup, salt and stevia and whisk well.
  2.  Lastly, pour in four cups of cream, whisking very well to make sure there are not lumps.
  3.  Pour into your ice cream maker and freeze per instructions. Mine churned for 25 minutes and was done!


After sampling some after taking the picture, this ice cream would probably make a good "eggnog" ice cream (after adding fresh ground nutmeg). Look at the yellow color!! That comes from real milk and real eggs ;)



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I love this recipe for homemade ice cream. I have been making a ton of the stuff but using coconut milk. There are not many foods that can beat out ice cream on a hot summer day.

Whitney said...

I'm having a lot of lump problems...I think it's the coconut flour. :( Was it in there as a thickener? Could I leave it out next time?

Thanks!

Meagan said...

Hi Whitney. Did you follow the order of the recipe exactly? If you mix the coconut flour with the eggs then the lumps should get all mixed in :) If this still doesn't work and you are having lump problems then you can leave it out or you can use some arrowroot starch or I suppose some cornstarch too. I alternate between using arrrowroot and coconut flour. I hope this helps!