Monday, June 28, 2010

Basic Dressing



A good salad dressing can sometimes be the one thing between you and a good salad. While I don't mind eating my salads "dry" (most dressings have soy oil), I've found that I tend to enjoy and be more satisfied with my salad if I really enjoy the dressing.

[Photo credit: Amazon.com]

I recently pulled out one of my favorite books, the Versatile Vegetable, a Body Ecology book, which I received for Christmas two years ago. I love Donna Gates and the principles behind BED are very important for good digestion. If you haven't heard of her I urge you to pick of one of her books, lectures or browse the website. There is so much good information there!

Inside the book there are several GREAT vegetable recipes for every kind of vegetable you can think of! There are also several sauces and dressing recipes too. My search for a good basic salad dressing with no yucky ingredients has ended. I found it here!

Basic Dressing
adapted from the Versatile Vegetable

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp flaxseed oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
other spices as desired - I like kelp flakes, garlic and onion powder, cayenne pepper

To make the dressing:
1. In a glass measure, add ingredients one by one.
2. Whisk well until ingredients are fully incorporated.
3. Pour into a salad dressing jar and refrigerate.
4. Pour liberally over every type of vegetable salad! Enjoy.

Unfortunately, the picture isn't the greatest. In my house we try to reuse things, especially glass bottles. Here is an old salad dressing bottle which we kept (but threw away the industrial oil laden dressing) and now it holds our real salad dressings. As you can see it still has the label gunk on it. Separation is natural. Be sure to shake well before serving!!

5 comments:

The Gluten-Free 'Dish' said...

You read my mind! I have had the same issues with salad dressings. I look forward making this tonight!

Ameena said...

Just found your blog and realized we have a lot in common...I am also gluten-free and soy-free and I live in So. Cal!

Great recipe for dressing...I totally agree that I am more satisfied if I have a proper dressing than my usual salsa!

Anonymous said...

That is one of the easiest and best salad dressings! I make that one quite a bit as well :-)

~Alyssa

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish said...

This looks like a yummy dressing! I agree with you--dressing has the ability to make a good salad great!

Anonymous said...

I've taken to making my own salad dressing as well. It's easy to do and I control what goes into it. I also think what I make tastes a heck of a lot better than most commercial dressings.