I created this salad on a whim last summer and have never looked back. It is soo delicious! This satisfies my spice-tooth and is a very easy salad to make ahead for a summer picnic, barbeque, luau or whatever your summer party plans are. The vibrant colors in this salad make it appealing to kids, and adults love it too because of the rich flavor. And besides, who doesn't love corn?
I used frozen corn in this recipe originally, but using left over corn on the cob from last weeks barbeque would be fine too.
Spicy Corn Salad
2 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled and thinly diced
2 cups frozen corn
1 red pepper, finely diced
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cup carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 tsp each olive oil and coconut oil - or as needed
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp each black pepper and crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp each salt and basil
To make your corn salad:
1. On medium heat, saute frozen corn with oils until cooked. Add spices. Remove from skillet and place in a bowl.
2. Next put onion, garlic and pepper in the skillet and cook. Remove, and place in the bowl with the corn.
3. Add carrots to skillet and cook until slightly crunchy.
4. Mix all components together.
5. Serve warm or refridgerate a few hours and serve cold. For some extra spice and green color add some finely chopped jalapenos.
This can sometimes turn out very spicy. If you don't like things very hott, add a little bit at a time until you reach your desired heat level. This salad is slightly labor intensive, but using a food processor would make it go quickly. This can also be made ahead or made the day of. It keeps well in the refridgerator for a week or so. I would suggest something to do with the extras, but I don't think there is going to be any ;)