Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Many Versions of Guacamole.




Ahhh. Avocados. So creamy and delicous. So smooth and so.. ok. Sometimes I get a little carried away. But isn't it obvious? I love avocados.. and you'd never know it, since I haven't gotten around to posting any Mexican inspired recipes, that I looove Mexican. Give me some sour cream, corn tortillas, pico de gallo, guacomole, salsa and queso any day. Now since I have more time in my life, hello summer, I will finally get around to posting some tasty Mexican goodness. And this is where I will start.

A good guacamole is a staple for any Mexican food lover. While I could have searched the internet, and looked at my other fellow food bloggers for some tasty guacamole, I couldn't resist creating my own. Everyone's take on guacamole is very different, the addition or substitution of a certain spice can change the whole flair of the the guac. Sometimes I just can't stick with a recipe, I have to make it myself and make it so I know I'll like it. It's like this inner itch that can only be scratched with no recipes, no prior blueprints. After two separate batches, I have come up with two separate variations. One for those who like it limey, and one for those who like it spicy.

I love avocados, and I love the taste of them straight. My family isn't too keen on the straight avocado taste of some guacamoles. My brother once said, "I like guacamole, it just can't taste too much like avocados." I had to wrinkle my nose at that comment, because isn't that the point? ;)


Guacamole, guacamole.

The lime version:
This version tastes VERY limey. It masked the flavor of the avocados and wasn't too spicy. If you aren't keen on the avocado taste and like lime flavor, then this guac is for you.
  • 4 ripe avocados
  • 1/4 of one vadalia (sweet) onion, diced
  • 1 tsp salt
  • zest of ONE whole lime
  • juice of ONE whole lime
  • cayenne powder to taste, about 1 tsp

The spicy version:
This version has some kick. No need to add extra hot sauce to this one! Even though it is spicy, the avocados still shine through, with the perfect hint of lime in the background.
  • 4 ripe avocados
  • 1/4 of one vadalia (sweet) onion, diced
  • 1 tsp salt
  • half zest of ONE whole lime
  • juice of half ONE whole lime
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes

My newest version:
  • 4 ripe avocados
  • 2 shallots - diced small
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp Franks Red Hot Sauce
  • Juice of half one lime
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 handful cilantro leaves, chopped

To make your guac:
  1.  Gut the avocados and throw out the giant pit. Scoop with a large spoon into a bowl. With ripe, perfect avocados you will be able to peel back the skin. Get out your favorite potato masher and have at it!
  2.  Dice your onion, and fold into the avocados with a spatula.
  3.  Add spices, taste with a lettuce leaf (a corn chip or your finger can change your evaluation) and adjust spices as needed.
  4.  Scoop into a glass container, refridgerate and enjoy.


Please remember that because of the nature of the oils in the avocado, the guacamole will oxidize even if covered and kept cold in the refridgerator. A brownish layer will form on top of the guacamole (the top is exposed to the air). Never fear! This layer is perfect edible and doesn't taste any different. Continue to scoop and enjoy days later. This keeps for NO longer than a week and half. Hah, if it will last that long ;)

Use your guac as a dip for corn chips and veggies. My favorites are R.W. Garcia corn chips, and veggies like snap peas, red, orange, yellow peppers, baby carrots, celery, and steamed broccoli. Make up your own combinations!


No comments: