Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Chocolate Peanut Butter "No Bake" Bars.


Making food for other people gives me joy. That's one reason why I love getting creative in the kitchen. Throwing ingredients together on a whim is just plain fun! Making food for other people as a surprise is EVEN better. The look on their faces says it all.


It was a rainy Friday afternoon, so what could I do? I had to make something. Recently I have recognized my extreme urge to be in the kitchen and baking something whenever it rains. I mentioned this breifly to my mother and she said that when my brother and I were children she always used to save her baking day for when it would rain, that way we wouldn't miss out on the good weather and there would also be something fun to do when it rained and we had to be inside. After I heard this, my feelings were finally explained! It all made perfect sense :) So now whenever it rains I know I will want to bake, and it happens every time. I better not ever live in a very very rainy place!

Look at the texture - you can see the coconut!!

When I placed these bars on the counter, everyone inhaled them and soon they were gone :) One lady said to me "Meagan, these are a winner!" That just warmed my heart! These bars are mostly made up of peanut butter, chocolate and coconut. Great combination? YES! They remind me of no bake cookies, but they are actually grain-free and don't have any oats in them.

Chocolate Peanut Butter "No Bake" Bars
    makes one 8x8 pan   

    1 cup organic coconut flakes
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1/4 cup organic raw honey
    1/2 cup chocolate chips or any type of chocolate
    3/4 cup peanut butter
    4 oz butter (half stick)
    topping of choice (mine were Ghirardelli white chocolate chips)

To make your bars:
1.  In a small bowl, mix coconut flakes, honey and chopped walnuts together.
2.  In a double boiler melt chocolate chips, remove from heat, add butter and mix well. Lastly add peanut butter and mix well again.
3.  Pour the coconut flake mixture into the bowl with the melted chocolate and stir until combined.
4.  In an 8x8 pan, plop mixture into the middle and spread evenly with a spatula.
5.  Press white chocolate chips or topping of choice into the "dough."
6.  Freeze for about 10-20 minutes or until set, then store in the fridge. Cut into small squares and serve. Freeze any extras (doubt there will be any ;) or keep in fridge until gone. But it won't take long!!


YUM YUM YUM
Enjoy :D

6 comments:

YYLady @ Flavor&Times said...

Hooray for more coconut flakes! I tried these out for breakfast this week and love them. I'll bet they make a fantastic texture in those bars.

Pure2raw twins said...

Wow these look amazing! I love making food for others too and being creative in the kitchen :) Fun times!

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat said...

Meagan, I'm so glad you commented on my blog so I could meet you! Your blog is precious!!! I love your bio and I look forward to our chats! And your bars look amazing! I think I would die if I were allergic to peanut butter!

Maryanne MA said...

These look great! Just a question, though...I thought peanut butter wasn't as great for you as everyone thinks it is. Any thoughts on this?

Meagan said...

Maryanne - Peanut butter isn't the best option, but these bars can easily be made with another nut butter like almond, cashew or sun butter. A little bit of peanut butter doesn't hurt, just make sure it's organic and not every day. Homemade peanut butter is the best solution. Peanut butter is not Primal, since it is a legume. These bars would be a good option to bring to parties, since they are delicious but also relatively healthy - I always have a hard time feeding people something that is unhealthy even though they don't care.

Monifah said...

Nice!! Just made them with almonds/walnuts and pecans and subbed almond butter. Instead of using real chocolate i used raw cacao/coconut oil and a little stevia. Added raisins and some pumpkin seeds too and topped with dessicated coconut. Delicious!!! Happy to have found your blog, can you be followed on facebook too??

Monifah from Denmark