Saturday, October 2, 2010

Crock-pot Chronicles

So last week when I told you about my crockpot coming in the mail? I never got to mention later that it actually came broken! I couldn't believe it! It is honestly not that hard to package something and ship it so it doesn't break; but because of poor packaging that is exactly what happened. Thankfully, Amazon has great policies, so I was able to send it back and get a replacement.


The replacement came not broken and beautiful (and quick, thanks Amazon)!



I took him on his "maiden voyage" last saturday by making some stewed apples. I haven't decided on a name for him yet and I'm open to suggestions! Here's the basic recipe:

Stewed apples

6 apples, ones that will hold their shape when baked, I used 4- gala and 1-granny smith
1/2 cup water
3 good dashes cinnamon
1 dash sea salt
walnuts
raisins
2 Tbsp butter

Instructions: Cook these on high for 2.5 hours, then stir in 2 Tbsp real grassfed butter, 1 large handful maple sugared walnuts and raisins at the end. Let cool and then store in the fridge. I ate the rest for snacks and leftovers over the course of the week! The apple-y liquid on the bottom tasted like apple cider. It was delicious! I suggest using less water next time, or before storing your finished product drain off the liquid and eat it like hot cider in a mug, while putting the apple portions back to the fridge.

I have some sweet potatoes that I might make into a stew this weekend. I'm just itching to make some soup! I love fall.

1 comment:

Kelsey Ann said...

MEAGAN THIS SOUNDS FABULOUS!! stewing isnt just for veggies, fruits can get in on the crock pot action too! wow u just gave me a bunch of good ideas!! <3

xoxo