Thursday, January 7, 2010

Cherry and White Chocolate Scones

Baking for others is one thing I truly enjoy. Each summer I am able to bake for many special people near and dear to my heart. One of those special people is my brother. His summer job always kept him on the run so I make him cookies and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, leaving them in the fridge for him to grab whenever he has a spare moment to eat. One of his favorite breakfast bread options are scones. When I found this recipe over at David's, I couldn't help but pass it up.

These scones are very easy to make and bake up beautifully. I apologize that this is not a gluten free recipe, but by subbing your favorite GF flour blend I am sure it wouldn't be too far of a stretch for it to be a lovely gluten free recipe as well. G gave me a scone pan for Christmas, knowing all along that I would have to use it. Next time, however, he will have to eat some gluten free scones, since I will not mix a wheat and gluten free pan.

adapted from David Lebovitz
makes over a dozen good sized scones

1 REAL egg
1/2 cup cream (raw is best)
1 1/3 cup wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup buckwheat flour
1/3 cup stoneground cornmeal
1/3 cup organic cane sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
6 Tbsp grassfed butter, cold and in cubes
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup chopped cherries

To make the scones:
1. Preheat you oven to 400 F degrees.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg and cream.
3. In a larger bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
4. Using a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles small peas.
5. Add the egg/cream mixture and stir until combined.
6. Fold in chips and cherries.
7. In large spoonfuls, spoon the scones out onto a lightly greased cookie sheet until desired size is reached, or press into a scone pan. Dough will be sticky.
8. Place into the oven and bake for about 25 minutes or until scones are golden brown.
9. Allow to cool or enjoy a few right from the oven!

I can't help but wonder what some chopped walnuts or macademia nuts would taste like in these. Scones have several elements of texture, however, and folding too many things into scones makes them loose their, err, sconeness. For those of you who are not inclined to white or dark chocolate, try stirring in some macademia nuts instead. These scones keep quite well in the fridge and they freeze well, too. Don't be shy about making a big batch!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi again Meagan! I'm posting photos by readers who re-create my recipes, with credit and a link to them if they want one. May I post your photos of the pumpkin pancakes and link to you? Cheers, Kelly

Kelly said...

PS I would put your name and website in the post and people would come over to you from me.

Meagan said...

Hey Kelly - that sounds fine! I am more than happy that you would feature me. I only regret I have not tested more of your recipes - that way you have more to post! I am very happy that you would ask :)

gluten free shopping online said...

Thanks for supporting the gluten free family.