Saturday, September 5, 2009

Fruity Vegan Oatmeal Bake



This is another recipe that I whipped up last summer. Last summer I was widely experimenting with vegan baking, because I had a friend who needed it, and because I also was experimenting with veganism. I was vegan for about 6 months, and I do not recommend it. It is soo unhealthy! Click the link here.

Nevertheless, my experiments yeilded some VERY tasty results! (And I did buy a very good vegan cookbook that has very useful tips and tricks for vegan baking, as well as for regular baking!) There is proof in this recipe. It is soo moist and has a lovely texture. It is similar to baked oatmeal, but is smoother, moister and has a different flavor (you can thank the spices for that).

I love to eat this for breakfast warmed in the microwave and then broken up and topped with bananas, blueberries, flaxseed, peanut butter and RAW milk, cream or butter. It's so delicious!

Meagan's Fruity Vegan Oatmeal Bake

1 large banana - mashed
3/4 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 cups GF steel cut oats*
1/4 tsp EACH: baking soda and powder, cinnamon, nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
pinch sea salt
1/4 cup medium shred coconut - organic always
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or nut of choice)
1/2 cup organic raisins

To make your fruity bake:
1. Beat banana, applesauce, vanilla and maple syrup briefly.
2. Sift together spices, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and oats.
3. Add to beated mixture and beat together until just combined.
4. Fold in coconut, walnuts and raisins.
5. Pour into a greased 8x8 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until done. The middle should spring back when lightly pressed.

*If you are using soaked oats, be sure to rinse and drain them in a metal strainer before using them in the recipe. If the batter is not coming together very well, add 2 Tbsp coconut flour. Keep adding an additional 1 tablespoon as needed.

While I did create this recipe in the summer, it would be a great winter recipe too! It is very satisfying when warm and hearty, so it would be sure to warm you up in those snowy (depending on where you live) winter months!


On another note...
Now I am starting school again, so I will be very busy, MUCH more so than last semester because I am taking a very difficult class (along with several GE's). I will try to show you some of my creations, but I plan to spend less time in the kitchen than I did last year. And while that makes me a bit sad, I know it is for the best... May all my creative juices store up and be ready at Christmas!! (I already can't wait to make another gluten free yule log!) I might have to make TWO this year ;) I also might post some of my older recipes that I haven't shared that are in my computer archives. As always, stayed tuned for recipes that might pop up!

No comments: