Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Gluten-free Pumpkin Bread.



I was away at school on Thanksgiving and I didn't get to bake my own gluten free baked goods, like pumpkin bread, stuffing or apple pie. The only baked good I had was a pumpkin bread my Mom sent me. The recipe I chose for her to make was less than stellar (I think I made over a wheat version into a GF version from online) and when I came home I vowed that I would make an amazing gluten free pumpkin bread.

I am blessed because it worked on the first try! I took my mom's REALLY good recipe and went to work. I am pleased with it. The texture is amazing and even my Dad (who is quite the texture Nazi) said so. This bread is not very sweet, so if you like your pumpkin bread very sweet, just add some more sweetner.

Gluten-free Pumpkin Bread.
    adapted from my Mom's recipe

    4 cups  gluten-free flour blend (I used a mixture of brown rice, white rice, arrowroot, potato starch and a little cornstarch)
    1/4 cup  maple syrup
    1/4 cup  runny honey
    4  happy eggs
    2/3 cup  cold water
    3/4 cup  unsweetened organic apple sauce
    1/4 cup  organic coconut oil
    1 - 16 oz  can pumpkin puree
    2 tsp  stevia powder
    2 tsp  xantham gum (acts as a binder)
    2 tsp  baking soda
    1 tsp  each of: baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice
    1/2 tsp  cloves

To make your gluten-free pumpkin bread:
  1.  Combine both wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls.
  2.  Incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry. Mix well.
  3.  Pour equally into greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until tooth pick comes out clean.

-Update: 1/1/09- This is a dairy free and sugar free pumpkin bread recipe. I am planning on making another version that has REAL butter and sugar sometime this month.

-Update: 5/11/13- See my most recent paleo/primal version here. I also notice that I did not include yeild amount for this recipe. I believe it makes 2 regular sized loafs.

No comments: