Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Roasted Amber Cup Squash.

 
The medical school study load did not kept me from cooking (but it certainly did limit it), and I made one or two new discoveries this past fall.  One is this squash which I am about to share with you today.  I had never heard of Amber Cup squash before I saw it in my local grocery store.  Game to try anything, I bought it, took it home, popped it in the oven, and waaala!  The most amazingly delicious squash I'd ever had.  A squash that didn't need either butter or cinnamon to make it taste good.  It was good on its own!  It has a sweet taste, very smooth grain, and is neither starchy or watery like butternut squash can be.


Photo credit

Roasted Amber Cup Squash.
    makes a lot or a little, depending on the number of people, and how much you like the squash ;)

    1 or 2  amber cup squash

To make your squash:
  1.  Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Cut the squash down the middle from both knobs. Then cut the knobs off of each half. Then cut into slices. Place on a baking sheet.
  2.  In a different shallow pan, fill with water. Place this pan on the rack below the pan with the squash - it helps to create a steaming effect in the oven.
  3.  Roast squash for about 30-45 minutes or until fork tender.
  4.  Enjoy! Eat plain cold (this is good) or warm with some coconut oil, butter and or cinnamon.


I love me some veggies! (So sorry for the bad pictures, Seattle is not great for lighting!)



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't imagine trying to photograph in Seattle!