Thursday, September 9, 2010

The NEW Larabar's - Updated

Have you heard of the new flavors? The whole foodie community has been in such a buzz since Larabar announced their four new flavors and a few weeks ago when I went to Whole Foods, I was fortunate enough (they're hard to find, everyone buys them up fast!) to find some in each new flavor. So I grabbed two of each and ran to the checkout counter.

Photo Credit - Larabar Store
Chocolate Chip Brownie
This one reminds me a lot of Clif Nectar bar (which I don't think they sell anymore?! Sad.) but with chocolate chips and almonds, and no walnut chunks. It was delicious and was really full of chocolate chips. There were HUGE chunks of almonds which is typically unlike a Lara bar, where they are ground up. I actually found a WHOLE almond in mine! Chunky.

Carrot Cake
Over the years I've found out that I do not like the Lara bars with spices, like cinnamon or something. I love cinnamon in real life, but in a Lara bar it just tastes off to me for some reason. This bar did have cinnamon, so I was instantly hit with an interesting flavor. Overall, it was not the best representation of how great actual carrot cake is; while the ingredient list is very similar to the real thing, I think it lacked the carrot-yness of carrot cake. This flavor did not taste bad, I was just expecting more.

Photo Credit - Larabar Store
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Oh my goodness! The name says. it. all. This flavor tastes exactly like cookie dough thanks to the cashews, dates and chocolate chips featured inside! I normally avoid cashews but I decided to go for it try this flavor. I was not disappointed. A few other food bloggers have mentioned how sweet it is, and I do agree, but I still think it tasted good :) I will definitely be going back for more! It had a great texture and was not chunky like the chocolate chip brownie flavor.

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
Everyone has been saying how this is their favorite flavor, so I before tasting this one I had high expectations. It tasted like their Peanut Butter Cookie flavor but with lots of chocolate chips. It wasn't all that different or wowing as I expected. I did like the flavor of it and the chocolate inside, and will probably buy it again, but it wasn't too far of a departure from the Peanut Butter Cookie flavor which I really like. I also ate this one frozen, yum.

Peanut Butter and Jelly - coming soon

Tropical Fruit Tart
This flavor is definitely by FAR, one of the BEST lara bars on the market. While the fruit content makes the bar VERY sweet, the sweetness factor can be mitigated by putting it in the freezer and eating it frozen (which I love to do). It has a chewy texture and you can really taste the pineapple in the bar. The whole experience reminds me of the dried pineapple fruit you can buy at Trader Joes. Delicious! I will keep buying this flavor.

By the way, I like freezing Larabars; it makes a fun snack to chew! TRY IT. Now!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking everywhere for those new flavors, but no luck so far. I think I'm mostly interested in the peanut butter chocolate chip ones, myself; the carrot cake one sounds interesting to me, but I agree, their spices sorta make it taste...off?

I loved the Clif Nectar bars. It's a shame they went off the market.

Have you tried the Jocalat flavors? They're so yummy. :D

Kelsey Ann said...

i really wanna find a nectar bar here, ive been anticipating trying them. and if i could find the new larabars here too id definitely love to try them out!!

xoxo <3

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish said...

I loved the whole almonds in the brownie Larabar as well! I wish they left more nuts intact in all of their bars!

Have you tried the PB chocolate chip flavor yet? It's my favorite!

Miss Healthy said...

Can't wait to get my hands on the new flavors!! Cherry Pie was always tops on my list!