Monday, January 18, 2010

Cinnamon Scones

My lovely brother has been begging for scones lately. And considering he gave me this pan for Christmas, the making of scones today (we are having another snow day) was unavoidable. He requested cinnamon scones especially so I sought out a recipe and went to work!

Cinnamon Scones
adapted from Chelsea Lincoln

1/2 cup organic coconut flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1 cup organic cane sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup raw whole buttermilk
1/3 cup butter
turbinando sugar crystals, for sprinkling

To make your scones:
1. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
2. Using a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles small peas.
3. Pour in buttermilk and stir until moistened.
4. Spoon batter into a greased scone pan or cut into 8 separate scones and place on a baking sheet.
5. Bake at 450 degrees until the tops have browned and the scones do not feel overly puffed up in the middle.
6. LET COOL - if you try to eat one too soon it will crumble!

This recipe tasted amazing. My brother could not wait until breakfast in the morning, so I pulled out a still warm scone (that's why I know about the crumbling) and we all sampled a piece. G still eats wheat, so to see his face light up in reaction to the taste of this GF scone, it speaks volumes! We all agreed that this is definitely a great scone recipe. The recipe called for other various mix-ins. Try it with chocolate chips, lemon zest, raisins, coconut, nuts, dried fruit, or whatever you like best in your scones. Also, if you don't like your scones very sweet, decrease the sugar.

*Note- I was not happy with the way the scones cooked. I might decrease the oven temperature to 400 degrees and see what happens. Also, next time I will be adding some xantham gum to help hold the crumb together. When they are fully cool in the morning I will tell you if the crumbling is better. I will also upload a better photo!

1/20/10 - The scones are still crumbly. But as I anticipated, a completely cool scone comes out of the pan nicely (as long as they were greased). Next time, which will be soon since G only has 2 scones left, I will add some xantham gum and adjust oven times/temperatures. Unbelieveably (haha!), last night G ate the scone that I had prepped for this mornings photo shoot! So these photos are not as pretty as I wanted them, but as my mom always says "It doesn't matter what it looks like, it's all going to the same place anyway" - which is funny, but I must admit I do not entirely agree. Making a pretty presentation is fun! Look at the texture those scones!

1/28/10 - I made these scones again. I added a pinch of xantham gum, decreased the sugar by 1/2 cup and decreased the oven temperature to 400 degrees. They cooked for 20 minutes. End result: they did not crumble as much, they were less cinnamony, they were more dense and not as airy, and were less sugary. The no crumble factor is no doubt because of the xantham gum, yipee! That part is fixed. I think I decreased the sugar too much, I will probably do 3/4 cup sugar next time or add some stevia or honey; stevia for sweetness, honey for moisture. I do not know why they tasted less cinnamony - maybe I will up the cinnamon factor even more and do a whole tablespoon! I will also increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees, the puff factor of the scones was less than last time (the scones were more dense) so upping the oven temperature will help the scones rise more quickly. Stay tuned for this summer when I will have some time to finalize this scone recipe.

1 comment:

Miss Healthy said...

Can't wait to try some of your recipes. Everything looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.